We are a mentorship, commercialization, economic growth focused organization empowering B.C.’s tech ecosystem. We’ve developed 10 programs over the past decade that have supported entrepreneurs through the trials of starting up & scaling their businesses. Crossing several sectors, our portfolio is disrupting and providing new age solutions in Internet Security, Big Data, Cleantech, AI and Industrial Transformation.
What kind of team would you be diving into?
One that’s brisk, cheerful, & community-minded! Alacrity Canada is about business with kindness - we’re West Coast through and through. We’re friendly and eager team players, who support one another. We’re collaborative and thrive on the team’s ideas and interests. At Alacrity Canada, we support and encourage each other to not only do our best inside the office, but outside the office as well. To learn more about our team, organization and our various programs, please check out our website http://www.alacritycanada.com
What we offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Flexibility to work remotely
- Extended health and dental benefits; premium 100% covered
- Access to Maple Health
- Employee Assistance Program
- Parental leave top-up
- Support to learn and grow through professional development opportunities
- Collaborative office environment in Victoria and Vancouver with a hybrid work model (office/home)
About the Role – Bookkeeper:
Reporting directly to the Director of Finance and collaborating with the Finance Team, the bookkeeper will receive functional direction from the Director of Finance to provide the full range of bookkeeping services. The bookkeeper will oversee Alacrity Canada’s financial data and compliance by maintaining accurate books on accounts payable and receivable, and daily financial entries and reconciliations. The chosen candidate will perform daily accounting tasks such as monthly financial reporting, general ledger entries, and record payments and adjustments.
- Conduct reconciliation of all accounts on a monthly basis (including bank and credit card reconciliations, intercompany accounts and revenue deferrals).
- Maintain and balance the general ledger in an accurate, complete, and up-to-date manner.
- Perform all activities related to the accounts payable function including reviewing, coding, and processing payments.
- Perform account receivable functions including invoicing, deposits, collections, and revenue recognition.
- Prepare and file government filings including GST and other required remittances.
- Prepare financial reports through collection, analysis, and summarization of data.
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations in order to ensure compliance with applicable standards.
- Input financial data into Quickbooks Online in a timely manner with a focus on accuracy.
- Review and confirm the accuracy of reimbursement expenses.
- Attend regular meetings with the accounting team and other departments in the organization.
- Respond to various inquiries from vendors, clients, employees, bank representatives and external accountants.
- Complete other ad hoc projects as deemed necessary by the Director of Finance.
- Experience in Accounting, Finance and/or business administrative field (Bachelor’s degree would be an asset, but not required).
- Minimum 2 years experience in bookkeeping is required.
- Experience with use of QuickBooks Online is preferred.
- Experience in NPO accounting is an asset, but not required.
- Knowledge of financial, accounting, audit and tax compliance and other regulatory matters.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial tax laws, regulations, and filing requirements.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel) and Google G Suite.
- Comfortable using various cloud based SaaS tools and applications (Slack, Notion, Zoom, Expensify etc).
- Strong analytical skills with a high attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work independently in a fast paced and constant changing environment.
- Proven ability to deal effectively with change and shifting priorities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with a team based mind set.
- Ability to meet deadlines without compromising accuracy and attention to detail.
- Experience with companies working in the technology sector would be an asset, but not required.
More about Us:
A message about Alacrity Canada for a future team-mate:
- “Working at Alacrity Canada has been an incredibly positive and rewarding experience for me. The collaborative and supportive environment here allows us to work as a team, providing valuable support and guidance to the students and businesses we support. It's fulfilling to witness the direct impact of our work as we see these businesses grow and succeed. Alacrity Canada also places a strong emphasis on learning and development, offering numerous opportunities for professional growth. The exposure to the entrepreneurial culture has been instrumental in expanding my skills and knowledge. Furthermore, the organization recognizes the importance of work-life balance, making it a truly fulfilling and dynamic place to work.” - Dani Anslow - Application Coordinator, CDAP
- I have had an incredible experience working with Alacrity. From the first day, I have felt welcomed and included throughout all departments. The team is courteous, friendly, and works towards a common goal. Despite being a remote worker, I have formed lifelong connections with co-workers, fostering a strong sense of camaraderie. Alacrity's inclusive culture provided a supportive environment for personal and professional growth. Overall, my time with Alacrity has been exceptional, marked by a welcoming atmosphere and meaningful connections.” - Chris St-Cyr - Student Success Manager, Alacrity Academy
- “I took a non-traditional path to office work, and initially I didn’t believe I would ever ‘fit in’ in an office environment. Self-described as a living exclamation point, a traditional office felt stifling. I remember walking into the Alacrity Canada offices for my job interview and immediately knowing: this was where I was going to work, this was where I fit in. In the years since, the support and care shown to me by the rest of the Alacrity Canada team has allowed me to grow and thrive in my role as Office Manager." - Chrystal Boyd, Team Experience Coordinator
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Victoria, BC V8V 3K5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Secondary School (preferred)
- Bookkeeping: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Victoria, BC V8V 3K5