Performs varied administrative duties and program support functions to the Director, Program Support and the Executive Director, Policy, Planning, Finance and Administration.
Considerable experience in the performance of secretarial and administrative support duties to senior management, handling a broad range of administrative matters, standard office practices and procedures, some of which must relate specifically to the actual duties of the position.
Experience in taking minutes at meetings, required follow up activities and handling confidential and complex documents and reports.
Considerable experience in the use of a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite, (i.e. Word, PowerPoint, Excel) to prepare correspondence, presentations, create statistical reports and charts related to organizing, analyzing and reporting data.
Experience in the preparation and drafting of standard correspondence and reports, editing the layout and formatting complex reports, correspondence, charts and tables.
Experience working with confidential materials/information for senior management.
Experience in planning and organizing appointments, meetings, interviews, conferences and/or special events.
Ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with highly confidential operational matters and with management staff.
Ability to research and gather information.
Ability to develop and implement administrative work procedures and systems.
Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including the political level, the members of the public and external contacts.
Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail, and ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities and work demands.
Strong analytical and problem solving skills with proven ability to handle sensitive issues.
Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision, prioritizing work schedule, complete assigned duties within timelines.
Must be resourceful, flexible, adaptable, and possess a high degree of common sense and initiative.
Communication: Please note that all applicants are encouraged to provide a valid email address for communication purposes. Applicants may receive written correspondence regarding this job posting directly to the email address provided on their resume or to the one used to set-up their Candidate Profile if applying on TalentFlow. As an applicant, it is your responsibility to ensure that you check your email regularly.
- Provides executive level administrative support, to the Director, Program Support in the day-to-day operations and related support to other units within the Division as and when required.
- Provides support to the Administrative Assistant 1, Office of the Executive Director, and performs back-up duties in his/her absence.
- Exercises caution and discretion with labour relations, personnel and other confidential information.
- Prepares and processes documents of a confidential nature related to human resources, investments, negotiations, fraud and waste hotline, bargaining, contingency planning, pension and payroll, corporate initiatives, etc.
- Handles scheduling of appointments and ensures appropriate information is provided to the Director well in advance.
- Coordinates meetings, special events, schedules, workshops, grievances, labour-management meetings, food services, printing of conference materials, registration.
- Prepares agendas, takes/transcribes minutes and follows-up taking action when necessary.
- Drafts correspondence, composes and types letters and memoranda and routes or answers correspondence.
- Screens, checks work and financial signing documents for accuracy and conformity with regulations, Corporate/Cluster policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items prior to the Director’s signature.
- Operates various office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation material utilizing detailed layout and formatting.
- Effectively handles general inquiries, complaints and requests from all levels of staff, other government agencies, media, elected officials or members of the public and resolves customer service issues.
- Screens, reviews and prioritizes incoming mail and initiates responses on matters not requiring the personal attention of the Director.
- Conducts background research, investigation, retrieves and consolidates information from various sources, prepares and processes various documents/statistical summaries/ reports requiring the assessment and analysis of data.
- Prepares and processes documents of a confidential nature, such as performance, including disciplinary action, documents pertaining to grievances and arbitrations, letters of discipline, contingency planning, restructuring initiatives, position termination, fraud and waste hotline. May attend and take minutes at grievance hearings.
- Assists in the co-ordination of cluster and divisional labour disruption plans.
- Monitors all key reports required for committees and council and ensures deadlines are met. Reviews council and standing committee agendas and reports flagging items that will impact on operations.
- Ensures that the tracking and following up of requests is maintained and deadlines are met.
- Coordinates and maintains an efficient and effective record/retrieval system for the office in accordance with the Corporate Record Management guidelines.
- Operates computers utilizing and manipulating a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation materials.
- Processes payments, maintains accurate accounting records and petty cash.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of office supplies and equipment for the Director’s Office.
- Monitors, tracks and reports attendance management.
- Performs other related work, as assigned.
Accommodation: The City of Toronto is committed to fostering a positive and progressive workforce reflecting the citizens we serve. We provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the City of Toronto's Accommodation Policy . You can request for accommodation related to the protected grounds at any stage of the City's hiring process, i.e., application, screening, assessment and placement.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need accommodation in applying for this position, please email us at email@example.com quoting the job ID #2287153 and the job classification title.
If you are invited to participate in the assessment process, we ask that you provide your accommodation needs in advance at that time. Please be advised that you may be requested to provide medical/other documentation to Human Resources to ensure that appropriate accommodation is provided to you throughout the hiring process.