Ocean Wise is a globally recognized leader in connecting people to our natural world. As a not-for-profit organization, our team contributes to meaningful work that matters. We take pride in the steps we take towards conserving aquatic life every day. Our focus on engaging visitors, connecting students, facilitating direct action and understanding the world around us contributes to protecting our world’s oceans.
Reporting to the Director, Facilities Operations, the Senior Mechanical Systems Operator is responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of animal habitats and life support systems, building HVAC, water/sewer, natural and propane gas, and control systems. The Senior Mechanical Systems Operator performs hands-on mechanical maintenance and repairs in conjunction with animal husbandry staff and related departments. This role requires a comprehensive working knowledge of all of the aquariums mechanical systems and the ability lead teams to maintain and repair these systems.
Candidates who are offered employment will be subject to a criminal record check.
Wage range: $23.80 - $29.80 per hour
Responsible for the implementation and maintenance of various Mechanical Systems and Life Support Systems to ensure that operations run efficiently by:
- Operating mechanical systems related to animal life support systems and animal habitats, water/sewer, HVAC and building systems, fire alarms,
- Performing a wide variety of general and specialized maintenance and repairs to the engineering systems including: pipe fitting, electrical, welding (repairs and new exhibit construction), machining and custom fabrication using a wide range of materials;
- Inspecting, maintaining and rebuilding motors and pumps and other machinery associated with animal life support systems and building systems;
- Draining and re-filling pools and reservoirs to facilitate maintenance and repairs;
- Removing, dismantling, repairing and reassembling filters and related filtration equipment;
- Monitoring water quality in main animal life support systems for temperature, salinity, pH, chlorine levels, clarity and other water quality parameters as per aquarium standards;
- Work closely with animal husbandry staff to co-ordinate activities and solve water quality issues;
- Acting as lead on team projects ensuring that safety protocols are followed, work is coordinated, standards are maintained, and training is sufficient. Also responsible for overseeing department operations in absence of managers.
- Maintaining cleanliness of workshop and other working areas. Ensuring that others do the same;
- Performing additional duties as required.
Promotes Environmental Management System (EMS) protocols and Health and Safety by:
- Receiving, distributing and storing inventory of various controlled products associated with water quality maintenance as required by WHMIS regulations.
- Supporting on-call rotation and responding to emergencies on a 24-hour basis if needed;
- Arranging for the safe disposal of hazardous substances;
- Participating in Emergency Preparedness and Response Drills and Tests;
- Maintaining, supporting and following organizational health and safety standards.
Education and Experience
- Aquatic Animal Life Support Operator (AALSO) - Level 2 preferred;
- 5+ years of plant operation or equivalent trade experience in one or more of the following areas: Millwright, Power Engineer, HVAC, Mechanic, Water Treatment Operator, Certified Pool Operator, Plumbing;
- Familiarity with local, provincial and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances and legislation;
- Water treatment and testing experience; salinity, pH, chlorine, clarity, temperature, etc;
- Experience in one or more of the following skills: mechanical equipment operation, commercial filtration equipment, pipe fitting, plumbing, welding, machining, fabrication;
- WHMIS and TDG training considered an asset;
- Fall Protection training, use of stationary and mobile aerial work platforms considered an asset (training provided if required);
- Confined Space Certification or the ability to complete and pass training (training provided);
- Thorough experience and skill using standard hand and power tools.
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills with machinery and engineering systems;
- Strong written & verbal communication skills in order to comprehend and communicate detailed instructions in English;
- Strong internal customer service skills and demeanor to work in a public setting;
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment;
- Ability to multitask and establish priorities;
- Ability to work in a team and self direct with minimal supervision;
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and email;
- Ability to safely lift and carry up to 40 Kg on a daily basis;
- Standing while performing most duties; This is a physically demanding job that requires physical stamina, strength, full flexibility, and mobility;
- Exposure to hazards substances which requires regular use of Personal Protective Equipment including but not limited to properly fitted respirators, eye and ear protection, gloves, coveralls, hard hat, harness etc.;
- Completion of Occupational Health & Safety training as required to perform duties;
- Must be available to respond to emergencies outside of scheduled hours on a rotating basis;.
- Must be flexible with shift changes including rotations, weekends, evenings and holidays;
- Must be comfortable to work in close proximity to animals;
- Frequent exposure to wet, humid, hot or cold environments, slippery and uneven surfaces;;
- Exposure to noisy environments requiring ear protection;
- Working with or in close proximity to machinery in an industrial environment;
- Occasional work in confined spaces (Confined Space Entry training provided);
- Occasional use of SCBA (Self Contained Breathing Apparatus training provided).
- Occasional work at heights above 10’ (Fall Protection training provided)
If you are interested in joining our dynamic organization, then please apply online at www.vanaqua.org/join/careers/current-openings
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those short-listed will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $23.00 to $29.00 /hour