Enjoying physical labour and working outdoors as well as being safety-minded are vital to a career in rail operations at CN. If you like being part of a team and working in different locations every day, a rewarding career in track maintenance will appeal to you. Working on a crew, you’ll be part of an ever-changing, safety-first work environment that ensures our infrastructure is safe, sound and train-ready. At CN, the careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
A Carpenter performs all types of construction type work, from framing to cabinet making to concrete pouring. The Carpenter's tasks will vary dependent on each project.
- Constructing, installing, maintaining and repairing structures.
- Reading/interpreting blueprints and drawings.
- Other tasks such as pouring concrete, framing, drywall, ceiling repairs etc.
- Providing costs estimates for certain portions of repairs and projects.
- Following company policies and procedures including safe work practices.
- Work in both indoor and outdoor environments.
- Must be prepared to work with the following PPE: CSA approved safety glasses, footwear, hard hat, and reflective vest.
- May be required to work with respirator and hearing protection.
- Must be available to travel within the provincial territory to perform repairs as needed.
- Good knowledge of Standard Plans and SPC’s
- Ability to layout and perform all related work involved with the maintenance, construction and repair of structures, concrete, framing and finishing.
- Ability to read and understand detailed drawings for various types of repair work and prepare material orders.
- Safety conscious and capable of ensuring a safe working environment at all times.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Valid Interprovincial Journeyperson Carpenter ticket
- Ability to provide cost estimates based on material and labour.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
At CN, we are dedicated to building North America’s safest, most inclusive and sustainable railroad, which includes reflecting the communities in which we operate. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups often don’t apply unless they feel they fit the job posting at 100%. Even if you don’t see yourself in every job requirement listed in a posting, we still encourage you to apply. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please reach out to our team at [email protected].
As an equal employment opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.