Community Inclusion Merritt - Mosaic Day Program
HOURS of WORK:
30 hrs./ week, Week Days, Day Hours
$25.05 - $28.75 per hour (Grid 10 as per collective agreement)
ABOUT THE JOB:
The Community Support Worker supports adults with diverse abilities to reach their potential and enhance their quality of life. Provides activities and opportunities that
The key responsibilities include:
- enhance participants’ independence and confidence
- build relationships and social skills
- improve physical and emotional health
- encourage meaningful and rewarding community connections
- provide vocational skills development and suitable employment opportunities
EDUCATION, TRAINING, and EXPERIENCE:
- Engages clients in recreational activities including sports, crafts, and participation in the community. Transports clients in agency van(s) to activities.
- Encourages individuals to participate in food preparation, following Safe Food Handling standards.
- Supports clients with mobility challenges as needed, which may include assisting with walkers, pushing/pulling wheelchairs, etc.
- Monitors personal care and health needs and performs personal care as needed.
- Co-develops and implements individual plans providing ongoing evaluation of progress and adjusting goals and strategies as needed.
- Collaborates with participants, their caregivers, and other professionals to provide a holistic support system.
- Monitors the safety of individuals and ensures protocols are applied to maximize the H&S of everyone involved.
- Recognizes risks, takes preventative measures, and when prevention isn't possible responds to emergencies using de-escalation and therapeutic intervention skills.
- Administers medication as needed, strictly adhering to agency medication policies and procedures.
- Ensures accurate and timely documentation.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, and ABILITIES:Demonstrated knowledge and strong abilities to:
- Community or School Support Worker Certificate or higher
- Minimum one (1) year of related experience working with persons with cognitive, physical, and other diverse abilities with varying and complex needs
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Interact effectively and support individuals with physical and cognitive diverse abilities
- Identify and organize creative recreational and community inclusion activities for the participants
- Support the enhancement of life skills
- Provide personal care as required
- Maintain a welcoming environment, performing general cleanliness, meal preparation, and similar tasks
- Recognize, analyze, and deal effectively and proactively with difficult behaviours
- Handle crisis situations effectively using appropriate intervention techniques
- Work independently and as a member of a team
- Problem-solve effectively
- Maintain professional boundaries and follow confidentiality guidelines
- Document and report information in an accurate and concise way
- Manage conflicts effectively and maintain positive working relationships with all parties involved
- Collaborate with other professionals, co-workers, and supervisors
- Advocate for people with diverse abilities
- Physical requirements of the job include supporting individuals in wheelchairs, or walkers, lifting, transferring, using lifts appropriately, pushing, pulling, bending, and assisting clients safely in and out of vehicles, etc. (Necessary on-the-job training is provided to ensure the safety of the participant and worker.)
- Valid BC Class 4 Unrestricted Driver's License
- BC Class 5 DL is accepted with the condition of ability to obtain a Valid Class 4 Unrestricted driver’s license within the probationary period. (Reimbursement available for the costs of obtaining this license)
- Following training is required and provided to the successful candidate free of charge. Existing certification is an asset: CPR-C, Mandt, Safe Food Handling, Medication Management, Anti-Bullying and Harassment, CLBC Privacy
- Consent to Criminal Record Checks with venerable sector search (Reimbursement of related costs upon hire)
- Complete set of Covid vaccinations (two doses minimum)
- This position requires Union membership
- Extended Health Care Benefits including Dental, Vision, Paramedical Services, Life Insurance, Employee & Family Assistance Program, etc. upon completion of the probationary period
- 6% vacation accrual
- Statutory Holiday Bank with 5% accrual
- Sick time accrual at 1 full-time equivalent day per month
- Wage increases with every 2,000 hrs. of seniority, up until Step 4
- Fully paid training and professional development opportunities
- Community involvement and wellbeing activities
- Priority as an internal candidate for future job vacancies
- Interior Community Services is a Municipal Pension Plan employer. For part-time employees, enrollment is optional after working two consecutive years. If you are already contributing to this plan then enrollment is on hire.
If you need any accommodations at any stage of the hiring process, contact us at [email protected]
ICS is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer and is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants who are legally entitled to work in Canada will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, visible or invisible diverse abilities, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or, citizenship or immigration status. Where bona fide occupational requirements limit the applicant selection, the burden of proof rests with the Employer.