Family Health Teams (FHT’s) use a patient-centered approach to primary health care that brings together physicians and other health-care professionals to co-ordinate the highest possible quality of care for patients – when they need it, as close to home as possible. FHTs are a key component of Ontario’s health-care plan to reduce wait times, improve access to doctors and nurses, and keep Ontarians healthy.
The Dufferin Area Family Health Team (DAFHT) is currently seeking an Occupational Therapist.The Occupational Therapist (OT) is a vital part of the DAFHT and collaborates with the physicians and other interdisciplinary providers to achieve the mission and vision of the organization. The OT helps the DAFHT to meet its strategic objectives by participating in the chronic disease management, health promotion and disease prevention programs.
We are looking for someone to join our team who has the following experience…
· Assesses physical, emotional, and cognitive functioning with environmental considerations in a variety of settings, programs, and groups
· Familiarity with wheelchair and walker assessments and equipment prescription
· Knowledgeable about government funding/programs and application assessment and application process (e.g., ODSP, Disability Tax Credit, Assistive Device Programs, etc.)
· Creates individualized treatment plans to develop, maintain, or augment function to promote independence, using evidence-based treatment modalities, including health promotion and injury prevention
· Teaches daily living and community life skills
· Prescribes specialized adaptive equipment and teaches proper usage
· Makes recommendations for the modification of physical home environments
· Develops a wide variety of resources
· Educates and counselsclients, family members and caregivers regarding the impact of disability, injury, or disease on the individual and their potential role within the recovery process.
· Provides both individual and group-based education
· Based on the assessment the OT refers the individual to additional health care and community services as needed
· Collaborates with other health care professionals and community service providers to promote comprehensive and coordinated care
· Collaborates as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver groups and programs.
· Communicates effectively with the patient, the patient’s family, physicians, community partners, and other health care team members
· Documents assessment and intervention using patients’ health records in the EMR.
· Participates in the development and evaluation of policies, protocols, procedures, and medical directives to improve patient care and/or to promote efficient utilization of resources
· Actively participates in staff, team, and committee meetings as appropriate.
· Evaluates patient results after a treatment plan is implemented
· Identifies key performance indicators for the OT role and participates in the measurement of these indicators
· Ensures program participants have the opportunity to evaluate and report on the outcomes of sessions
· Provides program outcome measures as part of the MOH reportingprocess.
· Participates in self-directed learning to ensure that his/her practice remains relevant by attending professional conferences, e-learning, and journal reviews
· Works collaboratively with OT colleagues to enhance DAFHT OT services
· Engages in the Preceptor role for Student OTs
Skills and Abilities….
· Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence-based methods and practices of primary care delivery, with an emphasis on prevention, health promotion, and risk reduction
· Leadership, organization, research, evaluation, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
· Experienced in the use of computers; MAC computer experience is beneficial
· Experience with an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) isbeneficial
· Desire and ability to update knowledge and skills through various means including technology-based opportunities, courses, workshops, and conferences
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Ability to be open-minded and non-judgmental
· Exceptional customer service skills and patient focus
· Ability to welcome change and manage it innovatively
· Knowledge of the goals, structure, policies and procedures, and programs of the DAFHT.
Experience needed to be considered…
· A BSc or MSc in Occupational Therapyrequired
· Current registration in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario required
· Current Ontario Drivers’ License and access to a reliable vehicle required
· Member of the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT) &/or Ontario Society of Occupational Therapist (OSOT) preferred
· Minimum two years’ experience, with a passion for primary health care (some PHC experience preferred)
· ADP authorizer status preferred
Why join the DAFHT …
- Extended health care benefits including health, dental, vision & critical Illness insurance, EFAP program
- Support for continuing education and professional membership fees
- Organizational commitment to work-life balance, including flexible work hours
- Excellent team/organizational environment
- Salary is commensurate with the Ministry of Health compensation grid
Come join our team - as together we aim to provide quality health care in a great community!
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Do you have an BSc or MSc in Occupational Therapy?
- Do you have 2 or more years of experience, with a passion for primary health care (some PHC experience preferred)?
- Do you have registration in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario?
- Do you have ADP authorizer status?
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Orangeville, ON
Application deadline: 2023-12-22