At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Senior Officer, Design and Construction or Engineer, Design and Construction is responsible for providing project management, technical support, plan review, and field oversight for construction capital and maintenance projects for customers. The position handles new construction projects and collaborates with internal departments such as Engineering, Transportation, Environmental and Law, as well as external agencies and government authorities. The incumbent acts as a technical advisor to new railroad builds, customer sidings, and track geometry in accordance with engineering practices and approved railway standards, specifications, and procedures in alignment with CN’s operating plan. The role may require surveying sites and reviewing designs using AutoCAD. Additionally, the position may support the training and development of a Field Technician and Officer Design and Construction.
- Handle various tracks, siding, and grade separation projects, including new and modified designs to ensure project completion within budget
- Review and approve track design components, as well as ensure that stakeholders have buy-in
- Ensure that track geometry conforms to CN’s standards
- Inspect projects upon completion with Engineering to ensure compliance with specifications
- Review and respond to submittals and correspondence from internal and external stakeholders to protect CN’s interests when local, municipal, provincial, and federal projects affect the organization’s property
- Collaborate with teams to implement changes
- Act as a resource and provide guidance on actions and responses
- Maintain relationships, public and private, to ensure CN’s property and facilities are safeguarded, and safe conditions are in place
- Provide accurate project cost estimates, including civil, track, signal, and associated upgrades, as well as cost estimate review assistance for CN’s projects, internal and external
Audits, Inspections, and Safety Assessments
- Complete crossing audits, inspections, and safety assessments in the field to ensure compliance with regulations
- Implement corrective actions successfully
- Conduct various site surveys
The role is performed in a combination of office and outdoor environment in various types of weather conditions and may be in unfamiliar locations. The role requires being available on-call to respond to critical incidences such as washouts and derailments and work varying shifts, weekends, and statutory holidays to cover operations that run 24/7. The incumbent must be able to work adjacent to loud power equipment, near construction sites with exposure to dust and railroad materials such as ballast and treated cross ties. The role requires occasional overnight travel (up to 20%) and field work (50%), within the assigned territory.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in construction
- Minimum 5 years of project management experience*
- Any experience for these above would be considered as an asset
- High School Diploma or General Educational Development (GED)
- Valid Driver’s License
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil or Construction Engineering*
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) Designation*
- Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset. Please note for Engineer, Design and Construction, the candidate must have preferred requirements.
- Collaborates with others and shares information
- Solves problems to create value
- Develops self and others
- Demonstrates agility and drives change
- Applies critical thinking
- Communicates with impact
- Knowledge of AutoCAD design and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Project budget and finance management skills
- Knowledge of Systems, Applications and Products (SAP), Transition Minimized Differential Signalling (TMDS), Geographic Information System (GIS), and Track Inspection System (TIS)*
- Knowledge of Civil and Geotechnical engineering*
- Fluently bilingual both written and verbal (English, French)*
- Any knowledge for any of the above would be considered as an asset
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
At CN, we are dedicated to building North America’s safest, most inclusive and sustainable railroad, which includes reflecting the communities in which we operate. Research shows that candidates from underrepresented groups often don’t apply unless they feel they fit the job posting at 100%. Even if you don’t see yourself in every job requirement listed in a posting, we still encourage you to apply. If you require an accommodation for the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials, accessible meeting rooms or other accommodations), please reach out to our team at [email protected].
As an equal employment opportunity employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.