The Alberni-Clayoquot Continuing Care Society is an independent, non-profit organization operating two long-term care Homes (Fir Park Village & Echo Village) in Port Alberni. We are currently accepting applications for a Nursing Unit Clerk position to work 5 days per week. Reporting to the Director of Care/Assistant Director of Care, nursing unit clerk is responsible for the payroll function for Fir Park Village Village.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Care/Assistant Director of Care and Nursing staff, this position performs a range of clerical duties relating to the operation of the Resident Care Department, according to established standards, policies and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Transcribes doctor’s orders to various forms and requisitions and relays appropriate information to nursing staff and/or other departments as required. Faxes medication orders to the Pharmacy.
2. Carries out receptionist duties for the department by answering the telephone, taking and relaying messages (excluding doctor’s orders), greeting residents and directing visitors to appropriate areas, replying to resident or family calls and locating appropriate nursing staff.
3. Assists in preparations for resident admissions, discharges and transfers by assembling/dismantling charts and notifying appropriate departments and individuals regarding relevant information.
4. Performs clerical duties such as word processing, filing, sorting and distributing various reports, requisitions and mail. Maintains department’s filing system, manuals, charts and kardexes.
5. Delivers requisitions, specimens, forms and equipment to other departments as required.
6. Makes resident medical and other care related appointments, arranges for resident transportation and family/volunteer escort, or escorts resident to designated locations when directed.
7. Assists in setting up meetings/educational inservices, takes, transcribes and distributes minutes as required.
8. Requisitions and ensures delivery of supplies, equipment and printed forms for the department. May be required to pick-up and deliver supplies and equipment.
9. Assists the duty nurse in the filling out of daily care reports.
10. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. Education, Training and Experience
Grade 12; medical terminology and graduation from a recognized Nursing Unit Clerk program, plus one year’s recent related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. Skills and Abilities
· Ability to type 50 w.p.m.
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Ability to deal with others effectively.
· Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
· Ability to organize work.
· Ability to operate related equipment.
Job Type: Part-time
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: $26.06-$27.23 per hour
- Company pension
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Store discount
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 4 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- PORT ALBERNI, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person