The Shift Manager is responsible in leading the day-to-day activities at the terminal including safety, terminal operations, planning, environmental compliance and third-party service providers. The Shift Managers work closely with various stakeholders to provide safe, efficient and environmentally responsible terminal services to customers.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure that the operational requirements of the working shift are fully met in an efficient and safe manner in accordance with current safety regulations and health and safety policies.
- Oversee the overall efficiency of cargo handling operations, including co-ordinating the various activities of different staff groups to maximize the efficient deployment of labour and resources.
- Enable the best possible level of communications within the shift team.
- Manage personnel, including hiring, training, discipline and off-boarding, to ensure that the Company’s needs and requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure that systems and procedures are followed to enable the progress of operations to be monitored by other staff, customers and authorities.
- Drive a performance management culture within the team ensuring that staff meet their targets in line with the business needs.
- Advance agreed upon initiatives, propose new initiatives and adopt a sense of continuous improvement.
What you bring to the role:
- A degree in business, logistics or similar field is preferred.
- 3 years of leadership experience in logistics or a similar field.
- A positive, hands-on approach and the ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent people management skills with well-formed motivational skills, including solid negotiation, influencing, change management and labour relations skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain good working relationships and achieve buy in and ownership to quality standards/ initiatives with all departments and levels.
- Sound judgement and analytical thinking that enables decision making, ability to manage projects and prioritize and manage timelines.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship loading operations, vessel construction, cargo stowage, cargo securing and applicable regulations.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and the proven ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Flexibility to meet the requirements of a 24/7 operation.
- Fluent in English.
- Previous Canadian work experience or experience working directly with Canadian industries.
Deadline to apply is Dec.1st by 3:00 pm.