The Victoria Conservatory of Music
Founded in 1964, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) has earned an outstanding reputation of quality in education, performance and music therapy. As a music school for the whole community, the VCM welcomes students of all ages and musical abilities, and teaches in all musical genres including classical, contemporary and music technology. Each year, over 4,500 students take part in an extensive array of disciplines including woodwinds, brass, percussion, keyboard, strings, voice, jazz, theory and composition, and programs such as music therapy, teacher training, early children’s music programs and Summer Music Academies. In addition, the VCM offers a two-year performance-oriented post-secondary diploma program in partnership with Camosun College, credits from which are transferable to every major University in Canada.
The Development Department at the VCM has a mandate to acquire and advance meaningful long term relationships with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders and generate financial support through private, public and government funding, supporting the immediate, mid-term and long-term strategic goals and mission of the VCM. The Development Department develops and implements a multi-faceted sustainable revenue focused fund raising program that includes annual giving, major gift philanthropy, corporate sponsorships, legacy giving, government/foundation/organization/agency grants, constituent communications, prospective donor research and donor recognition and stewardship.
Due to an internal promotion, the Victoria Conservatory of Music (VCM) is seeking a permanent, full-time experienced Manager, Donor Relations. This individual is a hands-on, high energy self-starter, supporting and advancing an expanding integrated fundraising program. You have a natural ability for building and leveraging relationships, communicating, and creating a seamless journey for VCM donors and stakeholders by engaging them more deeply in support of its mission for the purposes of raising funds for priority needs.
Reporting to the Director of Development, and working in close collaboration with the VCM team, the Manager, Donor Relations’ primary responsibilities include growing the VCM’s annual giving, intermediate giving and legacy giving programs, overseeing Development’s web pages content, and assisting to strengthen the Conservatory’s donor base and pipeline of major and legacy giving prospective donors.
The Ideal Candidate
Systematic, strategic, and a self-motivated go-getter, the Manager, Donor Relations will be adept at engaging donors and constituents through social media, direct response, face to face, peer to peer, and donor engagement and stewardship events. As an active key member of the VCM’s committed and innovative Development team, the successful candidate will have the flexibility and open-mindedness to adapt in an evolving organization.
The successful candidate will have exceptional communications skills, and will be accomplished at adapting messages and communications to different audience groups. Comfortable with interactive technological communication tools, the Manager, Donor Relations will bring creativity to bear on ideas for engaging constituents.
The successful candidate’s exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills will allow them to excel in executing the mechanics of strategy, design, and response to appeal programs. With a strong background in service excellence, the Manager, Donor Relations will be as strong at responding to questions and donors, as they will be at initiating contact. Ambitious and goal-driven, the ideal candidate will thrive at setting and exceeding personal and work plan objectives.
Skills & Core Competencies
- Five years proven fundraising experience in progressively responsible positions
- Professional experience and demonstrable success in annual giving
- Demonstrated knowledge of legacy giving
- History of successful relationship cultivation with volunteers, donors, prospective donors and staff
- Superior writing skills, including direct mail appeals, donor correspondence, proposals and website content
- Excellent networking, presentation and interpersonal skills, including ability to encourage and motivate donors
- Superior organization skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Technological competence including the use of social media in development activities
- Excellent strategic thinking and tactical planning skills
- Strong project skills, with proven ability to prioritize and manage timelines
- Ability to develop business plans and monitor revenue and expenses budgets
- Working knowledge of CRM database systems
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment with staff, board of governors, volunteers, donors and the public
- Clear understanding of and strict adherence to ethical fundraising standards
- Ability to work flexible hours (some evenings and weekends) and accommodate occasional unplanned requests
- Passion for the Victoria Conservatory of Music’s vision, mission and goals
- Post-secondary degree or CFRE
- Valid BC Driver’s License and road worthy and insured vehicle for work daily is required
Application Deadline: Open until filled
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their applications. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.