Quatsino is a progressive First Nation in search of an innovative Senior Finance Administrator (Officer) who can help carry out the vision, objectives and strategic direction set by the Band Manager and Chief & Council through high operational standards, improvement of grass-roots level program delivery and policy development, and the implementation of greater local control over community-level services. The Senior Finance Administrator is responsible for the efficient management of all financial administration.
Quatsino First Nation continues to face challenges and inequalities rooted in colonial settler policies, practices, and legislation, perpetuated by impediments to progress and transformation. Our optimism at Quatsino First Nation is to hire caring, creative, and intelligent staff that can not only lead but also facilitate the necessary transformation of our government and community.
Cultural Wellbeing and Safety:
It is paramount that all positions within administration strive to communicate and serve the Indigenous Peoples of Quatsino First Nation in a manner that respects, enhances and promotes cultural identity and safety. This position will strive for cultural wellbeing and safety through:
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Understanding and complying with any Quatsino First Nation policies or position statements on cultural care (and ensuring it is reflected in individual training/professional development plans).
- Ensuring that plans, policies and activities undertaken promote and reflect the holistic well-being of the People of Quatsino in a way that incorporates and promotes the culture of the Quatsino and their Traditions.
- Observing the key cultural safety and humility principles of self-determination, participation in decision making, respect for and protection of culture, equality and non-discrimination.
The Senior Finance Administrator reports directly to the Band Manager. This position is responsible for managing Quatsino First Nation’s finances and ensuring that proper policies, procedures and controls are followed. This will include but not be limited to managing accounts, banking, payroll and benefits, advising on wage strategy, reporting, and supporting the budgeting process.
Primary Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Financial Accounting and Reporting
- Full oversight and continuous improvement of the daily accounting & reporting. Develops, implements, and ensures compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures under public sector GAAP, and other regulatory compliance including federal & provincial legislation related to Indigenous Affairs for all transactions: cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, petty cash, capital assets, cheque processing, reconciliations, investments and more.
- Prepares and maintains financial statements and reporting under public sector accounting generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Further, familiarity with IFRS would be an asset.
- Ensures that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including withholding payments (CPP, EI), Income Tax, Goods and Services Tax, Employee Benefits (Pension and Health Benefits) and that reporting to external bodies (ISC, Auditor, Community) is undertaken in an accurate and timely basis.
- Lead and be the main point of contact for the Auditors for all entities (companies, band, housing, etc).
- Familiarity with First Nations Management Board and Financial Administration Law (Financial Administration Law). Priority of the position is establishing, implementing, and maintaining FAL policies and procedures. However, when establishing, implementing, and maintaining FAL policies and procedures, Senior Finance Administrator will work closely with the Chief and Council and the Band Manager to ensure Cultural Wellbeing and Safety principles are respected above all other considerations.
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner. Ensure the systems track overtime and leave (sick days, holidays, other types) and these are reviewed and maintained. Work with management to negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans and issue annual T4s and T4As.
- Build strong rapport with the department managers and assist with strategic review and reporting to allow improved department understanding and more accurate reporting.
- Oversight includes investment accounts and ensuring proper documentation for all banking transactions including online banking and fund transfers, investments, borrowing or new account set up.
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, and other financial commitments.
- Establishes guidelines for budget and forecast preparation and prepares annual budget in consultation with management for external partners and/or the governing body and assisting Program Managers with the preparation of budgets and the development of funding applications.
- Assists staff with ISC, NRT, FNESC, SA, and all other/related reporting as required.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored appropriately.
- Oversees the administrative function of the finance office including property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations.
Project Management Accounting
- Maintains financial records for each project to facilitate management reports including preparation of annual corporation reports. Ensures that accurate and timely financial statements are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
- Assisting with Capital and Infrastructure Planning with key departments.
- Knowledge of the Global Compact and the Equator Principles would be an asset with advising on projects with external agencies and entities.
Additional oversight will be provided and is not limited to:
- Evaluates the need for new technology to meet the organizations’ financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements.
- Advises on appropriate technology (e.g., software) that meets the organizations’ information requirements and financial resources.
- Works with management to strategically monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized through effective controls while maximizing revenues.
- Advises the governing body on appropriate insurance coverage.
- Works with the governing body and management to negotiate with the Bank for lines of credit or other financial services as required and appropriate.
Finance Human Resources and Administration
- Oversees and supervises all finance staff; under the guidance of HR, coordinates and participates in the recruitment of staff and ensuring employee compliance with Band policies and procedures.
- Manages team performance with regular communication of goals, deadlines & expectations, performance reviews with staff, strong coaching, and mentoring. Address performance issues, and consulting with Band Manager when progressive disciplinary actions are required.
- Coordinates and leads finance meetings, sets the agenda, provides minutes, and clearly communicates Band information to staff. Attends meetings as part of the Management team along with the Band Manager (and per advisory of the Band Manager, may, from time to time, attend Board of Directors meetings for all corporations and businesses).
- Monitors all legislation relevant to the organization finances (labour code, occupation health and safety, human rights, privacy, etc.) and all regulations on professional certification to ensure that the organization is compliant.
Education and Experience
- CPA or very experienced Accountant with prior formal training/courses is required. A two-year diploma in Accounting and CAFM training would be considered but with considerable experience.
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of legislation on Labour Code, Occupational Health and Safety, Privacy and Human Rights as well as requirements for ISC
- Four to eight years related progressive experience in accounting, financial statement preparation, and reporting. A minimum of 3 years of management or supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in full cycle accounting, budgeting, forecasting and cash flow preparation and management.
- Must have extensive knowledge of fund accounting. Ideally you have experience with Investments and banking.
- Experience in the development of accounting policies and procedures.
- Prefer experience with a First Nations Government or Organization.
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
- Valid Driver's License.
Skills and Abilities
- Strong team player with excellent team building and with-it-ness, as well as interpersonal and people management skills with a strategic mindset.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills including exceptional time management skills.
- Exceptional integrity and professionalism.
- Strong planning, organizational and fiscal management.
- Ability to develop policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and work collaboratively with the Management team in the preparation of budgets and funding proposals.
- Proficiency in the use of computer programs for accounting (ACCPAC/Sage preferred), word processing databases, spreadsheets, email, and the internet to the intermediate level (capable of using many functions and feel confident using the program)
- Ability to self-regulate, meet deadlines, have attention to detail; understand and maintain financial records, contracts, and other documents according to funding agency policies and procedures.
Please note: Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted and salary to commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please direct any questions and/or cover letters, resumes complete with three references, and a criminal record check to:
Quatsino First Nation
Attn: Band Manager, Norman Champagne
305 Quattishe Rd V0N1K0
Email: [email protected]
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $54.00-$67.00 per hour
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Coal Harbour, BC V0N 1K0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
Work Location: In person